Friday 30 December 2011

Introducing Archie Maddocks...

Ok we're doing something new on the blog. We're going to be conducting interviews with people who inspire us with their minds, style or simply because they've got a lot to say.

And speaking of someone who's got a lot to say...in this first interview we'll be talking to the one and only Archie Maddocks. Apart from being a friend, he's an up and coming writer (he's pretty great and he hasn't paid me to say that...promise).



 In fact I've decided to a little cheeky plug of his first play Mottled Lines, which will be showing in the Orange Tree Theatre from 10th - 14th July. It's based on the London Riots and I can honestly say that this play is a fresh take on a subject which hasn't been out of the national media since August (he didn't pay me to say that either). Its nice to see the riots being discussed by someone who isn't condescending or patronising in the slightest.

If you already know Archie then I'm sure you'll already be coming. But if you don't then here's the LINK. Purchase a couple of tickets and I hope to see you all there!

Interview:
  • Can you tell us a bit about yourself? What you do now and what you plan to do in the future - career or otherwise.
Right now I'm doing a lot of writing (play's, screenplay's, short stories, novels, poems) which seems to be going quite well. From this, I hope to make my way into acting, directing and producing alongside writing. It seems like I'm a bit of an egomaniac but there are a lot of things I would like to be involved in really.

  • Did you always want to be a writer or have you flitted between several career ideas?
No I didn't always want to write. I originally wanted to be a wrestler I think. And then a footballer (of course). And then an actor. I think what was always there was that I wanted to perform in some way. The ambition behind writing originally came from wanting to write my own parts, but I've always loved telling stories. That just naturally evolved into writing I guess. Still would love to be a wrestler though I must say!

  • Do you believe that you were 'born with a gift' or is writing something you've had to work really hard at?
Its hard to say. People and teachers have always said I've "had a way with words" but to say I've been born with a gift wouldn't be right. I may have an affiliation with words and language, but I've also worked very hard to develop my writing, so I think I would say it's a mixture of natural talent and hard work. I think what was most important was that I've always enjoyed writing, so that enjoyment has made it seem like it wasn't work in a way.

  • What types of material do you enjoy reading most? Do you turn your nose up at 'blockbuster fiction'?
No, not at all. I wouldn't say I have a specific type. When I'm encapsulated in the story, believe and empathise in the character, buy the plot and revel in the peril or angst or whatever is on offer. I enjoy it. I could happily read a story about a bag of flour if it was well written and held my attention. I have no preference.

  • Do you believe that anyone with an excellent grasp of the English language and a few creative ideas can become a writer? What does it actually take?
Hmm, difficult. On the one hand, I could say yes, because technically, anyone could become a writer of some kind. But on the other hand, not everyone has a distinctive and interesting voice to their writing. Someone could be a wizard with wording, but if their voice is melancholic and droll, it doesn't matter how ornately the words are decorating the pages, the piece will be lacking in something. So really, no, not anyone can become a writer. For one, it takes a lot of determination to be able to sit down and actually finish something that you have started. It takes good organisation to be able to structure something so that all the characters and subplots continue to move forward without slowing in momentum. And it takes and iron will to deal with the inevitable rejections that come with the territory. 

  • Where do you get your inspiration for your plays, blogposts etc? Will friends and family ever go to see a play and be surprised that you've based a character on them?
Anything and everything. Sometimes it can take a phrase in a random conversation that sparks off a whole play. Sometimes I can look at someone and think "you would make a really interesting character", so I may base a character on them that actually turns out to only inhabit a small aspect of their personality. In one of my plays, there are characters based on people I know, and when they watch it (or read it) they will think it's them. In a screenplay I'm currently writing, I've taken a lot of real life experience's and put them on paper, because real life is often a lot more stupid and unbelievable than the written thing.

An idea can come from anywhere as well, that's what I really like about writing; you have have this freedom to go absolutely anywhere. And even if you don't like where you're going, you have the opportunity to change the world so that you can fall in love with a made up place. Something else that I am currently working on (which I am not allowed to talk about yet) was inspired by the wind catching a leaf in a certain way. It can come from absolutely anywhere, and I think the unpredictability of it all makes it so exciting.

  • Since this is mainly a fashion blog, we would like you you to describe your personal style in 7 words. No cliches. 
Laconic. Eccentric. Effortless. Laid back. Unperturbed. Simplistic.

  • The other day you teased me relentlessly for buying a £120 bag. Do you have something against spending large sums of money on maternal objects or did you just really hate my bag? 
Yeah I do. I realise that this influx on material possession can allow people to make themselves feel better, but too often I see people that don't have the money spending it on something that's not even worth it. Like the people creating havoc in shopping centre's over Jordan's. Yeah, I know that within that community having a Jordan represents a status symbol, but in actuality its pathetic, a status symbol should be something like a smiling kid with with food in his gut, not a starving family walking around in fresh Jordan's. Basically, it promotes this grabby, money driven lifestyle which very rarely gets anyone anywhere. Like I was saying to you the other day, I could get a real life human to carry your possessions around with you for the day, for less money then you paid for that bag...

  • Name a celebrity that you feel aesthetically inspires you.
Ozwald Boateng...the guy always looks sick! I know that's a contradiction on what I just said since his stuff is so expensive, but his style is nice. Apart from that, I don't think there is any definitive celebrity that represents good style to me.

  • What style of clothing do you hate on the opposite sex?
Jeggings! What the flying flip is the point? You just see them creeping up batty crease's and stuff and it doesn't look good to me. Makes me think that they can't afford jeans. And girls that wear fitted's regularly...just...why?

  • What style of clothing do men wear that you fail to understand?
What constitutes as swagger now...Lil Wayne? Guy just looks to me like he gets confused in his big closet, dashes all his clothes on the floor and rolls around in a mish mash of material before leaving the house. And these proper low cut V neck things...I literally expect to see bra straps on a top cut that low.

  • What do you make of the abundance of Gucci and LV wearing males currently flooding the streets of London?
Well the way I look at it is, you have been given a name, you should be making your name big enough so you don't have to beg other people's names. So, in putting in so much work just for a name, you're denying the evolution of your own name. Furthermore, I think it elevates and promotes a general sense of prickishness in the world, and we don't really need any more of that do we?

  • If you could change one thing about the world what would it be?
Money - I don't think there should be any currency. That would allow people to build for themselves and make the individual more independent. People wouldn't be controlled as easily and then it would allow people to do something they actually like for a living, not something they have convinced themselves to like since it offers the promise of economic gain.

  • What is one philosophy you live by, that you wish others would also live by?
I wish people would take time to be less serious. Too often, I see people getting wound up about the way the world is, and that is cool and everything, but I don't think you should let that affect the way you live and view things. I think if everyone would stop taking themselves, and life, so seriously, things would work better (wishful thinking I know).

  • Any pet peeves?
Well you know I've got many. Too many to rant about on a blog that isn't mine I feel. I'll give one. Pavement politics, everyone expects you to get out of their way and when people bump into each other, it's always the fault of the other...I'll leave it at that.

  • Leave us with a line that will keep us thinking.
"Anything, and anyone, has a story of how it came to be that way and how it got to where it is. Nothing is ever as simple.


Also...don't forget to check out Archie's blog... http://archmanmadness.wordpress.com/ . Also, feel free to follow him on Twitter: @AWMDX :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...